- August 31, 2023
- Mark Miller
Scale Your Impact
Our leadership is a composite of many factors: our background, our experiences, our skills, our character, our relationships, our personality, etc. Some of these things we control, some we do not. One of the things we can affect is the way we approach our world. Do you live in a…
Our leadership is a composite of many factors: our background, our experiences, our skills, our character, our relationships, our personality, etc. Some of these things we control, some we do not. One of the things we can affect is the way we approach our world. Do you live in a small world or a large one?
Your choices determine your impact.
Here are 7 ideas to open your world and your leadership:
- Read widely – For me, this is very powerful–and a struggle. When I do it, I grow. The challenge is my backlog of leadership reading. One way I approach this is through abstracts and summaries. The more widely I read, the better I lead.
- Travel – I know this is not possible for everyone. Personal constraints, financial constraints, family, and job issues can limit our options. I get it. However, travel has life-altering and leadership-altering potential. Travel as much as possible; your view of the world will expand.
- Experience other cultures – Don’t assume this is about travel. It can be, but doesn’t necessarily need to be. I’ve been to other countries but missed their culture entirely. How is that possible? I visited people and places very similar to my hometown even though I was halfway around the world. Also, don’t miss the opportunity to experience different cultures near your home. If you don’t think this is possible, visit your local homeless shelter.
- Ask more questions – Great questions can take you places you’ve never been. Do you have favorite questions you ask? If you had 15 minutes with a leader you admire, what would ask? Ask more questions–you and your world will grow.
- Try a new hobby – Think about the last time you started a new hobby. I’m guessing you learned a lot. Your world got bigger in a hurry. What have you always wanted to try? Maybe it’s time for a new hobby.
- Vary your routine – Do you drive to work along the same route every day? Do you take your vacation at the same place every year? What would happen if you intentionally added some variety to your schedule? You may find the world is bigger than you think.
- Seek out experts – Who are the thought leaders in your field? Do you know them? Could you find a way to meet them? I was at TED years ago and was delighted to hear a presentation by Edward DeBono, the creativity expert. After his talk, I asked him if I could buy him a meal. He said yes! Seek out experts. They’ll help you grow!
As we open our world, we can turbocharge our growth and our leadership. Enjoy the journey!
What do you do to open your world and grow your leadership?
Comments on Scale Your Impact
Mark Miller is a Wall Street Journal and international best-selling author, communicator, and the former Vice President of High Performance Leadership at Chick-fil-A. Mark’s leadership journey at Chick-fil-A spanned 45 years, and today, he serves as the Co-Founder of Lead Every Day. Mark began writing almost twenty years ago, and with over one million books in print in more than twenty-five languages, his global impact continues to grow.